Author Vanessa Carnevale is making a special trip from Melbourne to feature on Stories on Stage on March 28 at 7pm. It’s her only appearance in Perth as part of her promotion for her latest book, The Memories That Make Us, which asks “If you had your time over, would you live the same life twice?”
Why did she want to come to Koorliny Arts Centre? We asked and she said, “I’m really honoured to have the opportunity to come to Perth for Stories on Stage, after having heard such positive things about it. I’m really excited about meeting new readers in WA.”
So, we thought we’d ask her some more important questions:
What are your 5 favourite things about writing?
- Getting lost in the world of my characters
- Moments when my characters surprise me
- Making something out of nothing (well, not nothing, but an idea)
- Playing with language and prose
- Being able to connect with readers
What are your 5 quick tips for writers?
- Read as much as you possibly can
- Find a trustworthy and supportive critique partner
- Be true to your voice and your story
- Believe in yourself
- Don’t give up!
Which 5 book characters, or authors, living or dead, would you invite for dinner?
- Skeeter from The Help
- Jane Austen
- Eleanor Oliphant from Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
- Louisa Clark from Me Before You
- Enid Blyton
What are your 5 favourite memories?
- Falling in love with my husband
- Being pregnant
- Seeing my children’s sweet little faces for the first time
- Feeling my mother’s love for me in one of her many, many embraces over my lifetime
- Listening to my grandmother sing me lullabies as a child
Which 5 books are on your to-read list?
- Still Me by Jojo Moyes
- P is for Pearl by Eliza Henry-Jones
- The Cottingley Secret by Hazel Gaynor
- A Place to Remember by Jenn J. McLeod
- Wonder by R. J. Palacio